- Professor of Mineralogy and Petrography, Museum für Naturkunde and
Humboldt University Berlin
- Impact cratering studies (impactite mineralogy, geochemistry, geochronology; crater geology and geophysics)
- ore deposits related to impact structures
- geoheritage and geoconservation
- Impactites of the Chicxulub impact structure (Co-Science Team Leader for petrography for the ICDP deep drilling project; funded by American Chemical Society Petroleum Fund);
- Structural analysis of the central uplift of the Vredefort impact structure;
- The Vredefort-Witwatersrand system (rock and mineral deformation, hydrothermal effects of the impact event on gold mineralization);
- Several other impact structures in Africa, in particular Kgagodi in Botswana, BP in Libya, and Roter Kamm in Namibia. In addition, a number of collaborations with overseas colleagues on a number of impact structures abroad. A comprehensive study of southern Karoo continental Permian/Triassic boundary sections has been carried out since 2003.
Gohn, G.S., Koeberl, C., Miller, K.G., Reimold, W.U., Browning, J.V., Cockell, C.S., Horton, J.W.Jr., Kenkmann, T., Kulpecz, A.A., Powars, D.S., Sanford, W.E., Voytek, M.A. (2008). Deep drilling into the Chesapeake Bay impact structure. Science, 320, 1740-1745.
Coney, L., Reimold, W.U., Gibson, R.L., Koeberl, C., and Ogilvie, P. (2010). Melt particle characteristics of the within- and out-of-crater suevites from the Bosumtwi Structure, Ghana: Implications for crater formation. Large Meteorite Impacts IV, Geol. Soc. Amer. Spec. Pap. 465, 411-442.
Reimold, W.U. and Gibson, R.L. (2010). Meteorite Impact! The Danger from Space and South Africa’s Mega-Impact, the Vredefort Structure. Geoparks of the World, vol. 1, Springer Publishers, Heidelberg-Berlin, 337pp.
Mohr-Westheide, T. and Reimold, W.U. (2011). Formation of pseudotachylitic breccias in the central uplifts of very large impact structures: Scaling the melt formation. Meteorit. Planet. Sci. 46, 543-555.
Reimold, W.U., Hansen, B.K., Jacob, J., Artemieva, N.A., Wünnemann, K., and Meyer, C. (2011). Petrography of the impact breccias of the Enkingen (SUBO 18) drill core, southern Ries crater, Germany: new estimate of impact melt volume. GSA Bulletin published online September 19, 2011, doi: 10.1130/B30470.1.