- Research on marine mammals
- Scientific fellow in the EU-Project SYNTHESYS (Acces and NA2)
- Service for public education
- Evolution, Morphology and Diversity of marine mammals, especially of sea cows (Sirenia), but also whales (Cetacea) and seals (Pinnipedia)
- evolutionary drivers for the secondary adaptations to life in the water
- Taxonomy, phylogenetic systematics, Palaeobiogeography and Palaeoecology
- Paläopathology and skeletal anomalies
- Application of computed tomography (CT)
Revision of the Halitherium - species complex (DFG, PD Dr. Oliver Hampe)
Voss, M. 2014. On the invalidity of Halitherium schinzii Kaup, 1838 (Mammalia, Sirenia), with comments on systematic consequences. Zoosystematics and Evolution 90(1): 87-93
Voss M. 2012. A new sea cow record from the lower Oligocene of western Germany: new indications on the skeletal morphology of Halitherium schinzii (Mammalia: Sirenia). Paläontologische Zeitschrift 86: 205-217.
Voss M, Asbach P, Hilger A. 2011. Vertebral anomaly in fossil sea cows (Sirenia, Mammalia). The Anatomical Record 294: 980-986.